Just as adults and children require extra care during the summer months, our pets do as well. Hot weather mixed with negligence is a recipe for disaster, which is why it’s important to take extra precautions to protect your pets. We at Colleyville Animal Clinic want to remind our pet owners that it’s not just the high heat indexes that deserve attention. During the summer, lawn chemicals are used to make lawns look lush and green, but these agents are often poisonous to pets.
When asked how to avoid pet poisoning from pesticides and fertilizers, the best tactic is to avoid them all together. However, even if you choose not to use plant fertilizer in your yard, walking your pet through parks and neighbors’ yards will still expose your pet to fertilizer. The chemicals can get on your pet’s paws and tracked through the home.
Repeated exposure to chemical agents can affect the liver, kidneys, skeletal muscles and gastrointestinal tract. If your pet eats grass and ingests the pesticide, poisoning can occur and includes symptoms such as excessive salivation, tearing in the eyes, nausea and vomiting. Contact a veterinarian in Colleyville if your pet exhibits these symptoms.
The best solution for protecting your pet starts at home, so if you must fertilize your grass, use an organic solution that contains ingredients like kelp, seaweed or bone meal. If you have a lawn care service, talk to them about the types of fertilizers and pesticides used. Many companies offer environmentally friendly options for animal safety. Using natural fertilizers is the best of both worlds since you can protect your pet while caring for your yard.
When walking your pet, make sure you keep your dog off other people’s yards, especially when you see they have been fertilized. After your dog’s walk, wipe off the paws with a damp, wet cloth to remove residue that can be tracked through the home. Also be aware of other poisons in the yard such as slug or snail baits, mushrooms and rat and mouse poisons.
Remember to keep all fertilizers and other hazardous products in locked, chew-proof containers out of your pet’s reach. Prevention is key, and keeping your pet away from harmful chemicals is the best way to avoid accidental poisonings. If you believe your pet has ingested a chemical pesticide, contact Colleyville Animal Clinic immediately at 817-281-3449. You can also contact us online.